Friday, 11 June 2010

A Mixed Tape

There’s a new No.1. Katy Perry’s California Gurls has knocked Usher off the top. Not bad work for only a few weeks. Let’s see what’s new this week.

100. Neon Trees, Animal
The Rock song itself isn’t bad. There are some definite inspirations from The Killers. The song has a good drive and is pretty catchy in the chorus. That said, I don’t see it getting very far in the Hot 100.

97. V V Brown, Shark in the Water
The intro is pretty cool and gets you to listen for more.
While this Pop song is pretty solid, and pretty catchy, it doesn’t have a lasting sort of power. I also don’t predict too much success for this song here in the charts.

96. Taio Cruz featuring Ke$ha, Dirty Picture
For a dance song, it’s not too bad at all. Catchy, good beat, dynamic, all the makings of a hit. This song will get far, it’s got me bouncing.

95. Glee Cast, It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World.
The original is a classic and this is not, hehe. I didn’t see the episode, so I don’t know about the song connection, but listening to the song, it could have had more effort put into it. This probably won’t be here next week.

94. Little Big Town, Little White Church
This one’s been in the Country charts for a good while, and I’m glad it’s made it into the Hot 100. It’s got a great country beat, and they really gave a great performance here. Good stuff. I think this will still be here over the next few weeks, though I don’t think it’ll climb too high.

93. Glee Cast, Loser
The original Beck song was a huge hit when I was in high school, so hearing it brings some fond memories. They’ve done a good job here. They’ve managed to keep the song atmosphere. But like most Glee stuff, this probably won’t be here next week. Pity, because this is my favorite for the week.

87. Glee Cast, Tell Me Something Good
Not quite the original, but pretty good to listen to. They got the feel right.
Not here next week.

83. Billy Currington, Pretty Good at Drinkin’ Beer
It’s one of those Country songs that puts a smile on your face. While the word original doesn’t stick to the song style, it does to the lyrics.
It’ll stick around for a while, I hope.

79. Glee Cast, Another One Bites the Dust
Oooh, this is a bad attempt at covering a Queen song. Not sure why, but I didn’t like this. Made me want to get to the next song. I don’t want this to be in the charts next week.

75. 3OH!3, Déjà Vu
While so many of their other songs have been pretty good. This is actually a little disappointment. The whole song structure sounds a little like a sellout. Now, while I’m not too fond of the song, I think it might do well on the charts.

69. Glee Cast, Good Vibrations
They’ve taken the old 90’s hit, and tried to get the same sound and feel. I think they just missed. Why is this placed higher than the other of their songs this week? Yuck, me no like. Please don’t be here next week.

51. Nicki Minaj, Your Love
It starts off sampling Annie Lenox. Then goes into a very typical Hip-Hop Pop style song. But then the chorus really gets irritating. Just repeating the word Your Love over and over. Ouch my ears. The thing is, this might still be here next week. Please don’t.

44. T.I, Yeah Ya Know
It’s typical Hip-Hop, but in a good way. This will do pretty well.
Not really more to say.

38. T.I featuring Keri Hilson, Got Your Back
T.I’s giving us a double feature this week. This is much better than Yeah Ya Know. It’s bouncier, catchier and more deserving to be on the charts. Cherry on top, this will be here for a while.

26. Taio, Dynamite
The second new entry for Taio, and while it isn’t too bad. I have to say that his other song was better. This too has some lasting power to it, so It’ll stay up here for a while.

15. Drake featuring Lil Wayne, Miss Me
This week’s highest new entry. Very Hip Hoppy, very bouncy. The problem I felt with it is the song s seems to drone on and on and on. Well, I don’t make the rules, But I have feeling this might drop next week.

Ok, let’s see how my last week predictions came out.

Right:
Rick Ross featuring Ne-Yo, Super High – It wasn’t a very strong song, so it left the charts.
Lee Dewyze, The Boxer – It left the charts.
Glee Cast, Beth – yeah, that was obvious.
Crystal Bowersox, Up to the Mountain – There wasn’t much staying power.

Wrong:
Lee DeWyze & Crystal Bowersox, Falling Slowly - I thought this would go up, it went down.
Lee DeWyze, Hallelujah – I have a feeling it’s not going to stick around as long as I had hoped.
Lee DeWyze, Beautiful Day – I didn’t do very well on his predictions.

Undetermined:
J. Cole, Who Dat – I thought it might stay a couple more weeks, but not even that.
Cali Swag District, Teach Me how to Dougie – I didn’t like it, but still gave it a chance. It climbed 10 places.
Paramore, The Only Exception – it only climbed four places, but I’m not giving up on it yet.
Will Young, Leave Right Now – I gave the song another two week, but it left.

No comments:

Post a Comment