Friday, 18 June 2010

World Cup

It's the World Cup again. But aside from a couple of songs, that has nothing to do with the charts.

98. OneRepublic, Secrets
I think OneRepublic are forever going to live in the shadow of their own hit Apologize. While this Pop song isn't bad, it doesn't have the energy of being a hit. I'm curious how this will do, but I don't give it too many weeks, and I don't think it will climb very high.
Secrets

89. Train, If It's Love
I really like this one. It's got a good Rock-Pop vibe. But like OneRepublic, Train need to fill some big shoes from their other song Hey, Soul Sister. If It's Love does have potential, and is my favorite for this week, but I'm not sure it can climb too high. I think It'll break into the top 50.
If

84. Glee Cast, Bohemian Rhapsody
First off, if you've never heard the original, go listen to it, because that is more or less the definition of a classic Rock song. This version isn't bad, but it's basic mimicking of the original. I'll give this another week.
On a side note, the Muppets have a good version of the song too.
Bohemian

76. Glee Cast , To Sir With Love
Not much to say here. It's a cute version of the song. Obviously, it's not as good as the original. Not here next week.
To

70. Lil Jon Featuring 3OH!3, Hey
I have to say I really like the Dance intro. There's some great chemistry going here. It's catchy, it’s bouncy, it's groovy, it's a hit.
Hey

67. Ne-Yo, Beautiful Monster
The first thing that I thought was that he's had better. I think he's lost track a bit. This is just a plain Dance song, not worthy of Ne-Yo. Sorry. This might have a couple of weeks, but not more than that.
Beautiful

66. Christina Aguilera, Bionic
Like almost all the artists this week, Christina too gives a song that is far from her other much much better material. If it didn’t have her name on it, I don’t think anyone would look at this song. It’s bad. Please don’t be here next week.
Bionic

58. Glee Cast, Any Way You Want It
I like the energy they give here. The song does it no matter who performs it, but they've really got it here. I enjoyed listening to it. Sadly, It won’t be here next week.
Any

44. Shakira Featuring Freshlyground, Waka Waka (This Time For Africa)
I'm not a sports fan, so this is about as close as I'm going to get to the World Cup (It’s the official song). It's not bad. It gets your head bopping up and down. I think it'll stay in the top 50 for a few weeks.
Waka

43. Glee Cast, Over The Rainbow
I'd say this is more a cover of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version than the Garland version. Anyway, It's nice to listen to. It might have another week or so, but not more than that.
Over

37. Glee Cast, Faithfully
Not a bad cover of the Journey song. It's performed quite well, and very emotionally. This might have a few weeks on the charts.
Faithfully

33. Justin Bieber Featuring Jaden Smith, Never Say Never
My biggest fears have come true. The 80's are back. The remake of the Karate Kid brings along a very 80's sounding Pop song, and this week's highest new entry. The song is catchy and will be a hit. I do need to say, Jaden Smith has a very loooooooong way to go to get to his dad's level as a rapper.
Never

So how did I do last week?

Right:
Neon Trees, Animal – it's a nice song, but only climbed 7 places.
Glee – it's become pretty predictable that nearly all their songs drop out of the charts after only a week.
Billy Currington, Pretty Good At Drinkin' Beer – while only climbing 3 places, it's still here.
Drake Featuring Lil Wayne, Miss Me – It didn't have that staying power so it dropped 30 places.

Wrong:
Taio Cruz featuring Ke$ha, Dirty Picture – I'm quite surprised. I thought this would do well.
3OH!3, Déjà Vu – while I didn't think much of the song, I did think it would go up rather than leave the charts.
T.I. - Yeah Ya Know (Takers) – I thought this would be a hit. It dropped to 100.
T.I. Featuring Keri Hilson, Got Your Back – Another one I liked but miss-judged
Taio Cruz, Dynamite – not my week.

Undetermined:
V V Brown, Shark in the Water – while it did climb 14 places, it's yet to be a smash.
Nicki Minaj, Your Love – I really didn't like this song. Still, it climbed 25 places.

No comments:

Post a Comment