Sunday, 6 June 2010

American Idol Week

100. Rick Ross fetauring Ne-Yo, Super High
There’s a great funky, Hip Hop sound here, but the song itself isn’t that great. The groove catches you at first and you find yourself bouncing your head up and down with “yeah that’s cool” smile, but after a while, that wears off. I’m not sure how long will last long. Maybe a week?
Rick Ross - Super High (feat. Ne-Yo) - Single - Super High (feat. Ne-Yo)

93. J. Cole, Who Dat
Well, for Hip Hop, it’s not very original, neither musically nor lyrically. But there’s something to this song. The chorus is very catchy (who dat who dat). I don’t think the song has much staying power. The overall level of the songs stays pretty constant and not much dynamics. I’ll say this will have a few weeks in the charts.

91. Cali Swag District, Teach Me how to Dougie
The 50’s had the Twist. The 90’s had the Macarena. They are trying to bring us the Dougie. Well, it would help if they actually showed what it was in video clip, instead of cutting all the time. As for the song, it’s pretty boring. Also is this Hip Hop? Again we have a song which I don’t really like, but I have a feeling might do well.
Cali Swag District - Teach Me How to Dougie - Single - Teach Me How to Dougie

90. Paramore, The Only Exception
I’ve admired this Rock band for a while. Hayley Williams, the little girl with the power of a tornado in her voice. The Only Exception is a very good song. While not their best, IMO, it’s a powerful tune and good lyrics. It has a lot of potential, and it is my favourite of the week. I’m going to predict this song will do well.
Paramore - Brand New Eyes - The Only Exception

88. Lee Dewyze, The Boxer
The first new entry from the American Idol winner. His version of Simon and Garfunkel’s hit is pretty good for a live recording. I think, like glee songs, this is all more promotional stuff, so next week might not be here.
Lee DeWyze - The Boxer (American Idol Studio Version) - Single - The Boxer (American Idol Studio Version)

81. Will Young, Leave Right Now
Hmmmmm, OK, so? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a Pop nice song. He’s got a very nice voice, but there’s not much else. This might stick around for a bit longer, maybe two or three weeks.
Will Young - Leave Right Now - Leave Right Now

72. Glee Cast, Beth
Here they do what they always do, but they’ve done a lot better in the past. On the other hand, they reminded me that I must listen to Kiss more often. The song is a classic, and they didn’t do it much justice. Next week, not here.
Glee Cast - Beth (Glee Cast Version) - Single - Beth (Glee Cast Version)

66. Lee DeWyze & Crystal Bowersox, Falling Slowly
It’s a lovely duet, and a good cover of the song. They have great energy together, and it really draws you in. This might do well. I’ll say it’ll get into the top 50.
Lee DeWyze & Crystal Bowersox - Falling Slowly (American Idol Studio Version) - Single - Falling Slowly (American Idol Studio Version)

57. Crystal Bowersox, Up to the Mountain
Now this girl’s got a fantastic voice, and she really deserved to get where she did on American Idol. Dare I say she should have won? Well, I guess that’s all a matter of taste. Here she does a good version of the song, though I don’t hink this will be here next week. If it is, then it will drop considerably.
Crystal Bowersox - Up to the Mountain - Single - Up to the Mountain

44. Lee DeWyze, Hallelujah
A nice version of one of my all time favorite songs (though apparently I’m the only one who likes the leonard cohen version). I think it’s more the arrangements that make this version what it is. This should stick around for a while. Now everyone, altogether, sing in chorus… Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah.
Lee DeWyze - Hallelujah (American Idol Studio Version) - Single - Hallelujah (American Idol Studio Version)

24. Lee DeWyze, Beautiful Day
This week’s highest new entry. Why is this higher than Hallelujah? It’s Ok, but not brilliant, and a far cry from the original U2 version. There’s a lot of energy here, and the song stays strong throughout, but still, the original has so much more. I don’t think this will be here next week.
Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day - Single - Beautiful Day

OK, so let’s see last week’s predictions.

Right:
Gyptian, Hold You. It left the charts.
Zac Brown Band, Free. Well, even though it only climbed up 15 points. I’m pretty satisfied with my prediction.
Glee Cast, Safety Dance. It went away and thank God for that.
Avenged Sevenfold, Nightmare. I think this one was pretty obvious.
Glee Cast, Dream On. Nearly dropped out completely.

Wrong:
Glee Cast, Poker Face. I wasn’t even close. It shot up to No. 20
Glee Cast, Bad Romance. I got this one wrong too. It went up to No. 30
Muse, Neutron Star Collision. I’m not doing very well. I thought this would stick around, and it left.
3OH3!, Touchin On My. Not my week is it.

Undetermined:
Christina Aguilera Featuring Nicki Minaj, Woohoo. I didn’t think it was that good, but I thought it might do Ok. It left the charts.
Glee Cast, I Dreamed a Dream. While I did think it wouldn’t be in the charts. It did drop considerably to 96.
Miley Cyrus, Can't Be Tamed. It dropped down to 18. What does that say?

No comments:

Post a Comment