Friday, 28 May 2010

Miley Can't be Tamed, or Can She?

There are quite a few new entries this week, so let's get on to it.

100. Glee Cast, Poker Face
Glee did a Lady Gaga episode, so this song is a must. Though, I was never really very fond of the original, this version is quite cute. They've gone and changed the arrangements around, a sort of piano ballad. It's very much worth a listen. My prediction, like all glee stuff, next week, not here.
Glee Cast - Glee: The Music, Vol. 3 - Showstoppers (Deluxe Edition) - Poker Face (Glee Cast Version) [feat. Idina Menzel]

96. Gyptian, Hold You
While not very original in its style, the song does have a good drive to it, but after a while, the drive stays on the same speed for too long, and the song gets monotonic without much dynamics. I don’t predict a very good future for this song.
Gyptian - Hold You - Single - Hold You (Hold Yuh)

95 Zac Brown Band, Free
I've usually found their songs to be entertaining, It's starts off with a soft violin solo, and then into quite a lovely country ballad. I wonder how this will do on the country charts. Anyway, this might stick around on the Hot 100 Charts for a while, but I don’t think it will get very high. Maybe top 50.
Zac Brown Band - The Foundation (Deluxe Version) - Free

86. Glee Cast, Bad Romance
Another Lady Gaga cover, by the glee cast. It's not a bad attempt, and you can tell that the effort has been put in. It's not the original, though. Not here next week.
Glee Cast - Glee: The Music, Vol. 3 - Showstoppers (Deluxe Edition) - Bad Romance (Glee Cast Version)

81. Glee Cast, Safety Dance
I was a little nervous before hearing this, as the original is one of my favorite 80's tunes. When I finally heard it, I thought it was downright utter garbage. You don't try to rap the Safety Dance. I am not amused! Next week, this won't be here, and I never want to hear this again (picture me with a very angry face).
Glee Cast - Glee: The Music, Vol. 3 - Showstoppers (Deluxe Edition) - Safety Dance (Glee Cast Version)

79. Christina Aguilera Featuring Nicki Minaj, Woohoo
Interesting beat going for it, but I wasn't really pulled in by it. Not very catchy, IMO. This will do alright, but not brilliant. It'll hang around for a few weeks, and fade away.
Christina Aguilera - Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj) - Single - Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj)

77. Muse, Neutron Star Collision
I get what they're going for, but they're not getting there. I always enjoyed muse's music, but this is a bit disappointing. It's not a bad song, far from it. They've just got better. All this being said, this song might do well here. It'll break top 50 IMO, but not much higher than that.
Muse - Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) - Single - Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever)

51. Avenged Sevenfold, Nightmare
Nearly breaking in into the top 50, but not quite there. They are one of the better bands for this genre these days. I wonder though, if the death of their drummer six months ago contributes to the popularity of this song. It's an OK song, but not much more. It reminds me a lot of Alice Cooper. The chorus is very good. Next week this will drop.
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare - Single - Nightmare

43. 3OH3!, Touchin On My
My favorite for this week. I think they sound best when they're not collaborating with other artists. This is pretty good. Good drive, great dynamics, pretty catchy. This will do well.
3OH!3 - Touchin On My - Single - Touchin On My

31. Glee Cast, I Dreamed a Dream
They do it very well. No doubt there, and it deserves a high spot in the charts. It won’t be here next week like all their other stuff. All that said, Susan Boyle kicks this out of the park.
Glee Cast - Glee: The Music, Vol. 3 - Showstoppers (Deluxe Edition) - I Dreamed a Dream (Glee Cast Version) [feat. Idina Menzel]

26. Glee Cast, Dream On
They've done this Aerosmith song quite well. Obviously you can't touch the original classic, but the performance here is first rate. Bravo. Unlike the rest of the Glee songs, this one will still be here next week, though it will probably drop.
Glee Cast - Glee: The Music, Vol. 3 - Showstoppers (Deluxe Edition) - Dream On (Glee Cast Version) [feat. Neil Patrick Harris]

8. Miley Cyrus, Can't Be Tamed
This week's highest new entry. Is she trying to shake off her good girl image? It's not really working. The song itself is nothing we haven’t really heard of and wouldn't get anywhere had the Miley Sirus name not come with it, but she's obviously trying to break out and show us that she's an adult. Well, I personally think she did this too soon. I did chuckle at the video clip.
Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed - Single - Can't Be Tamed

OK, let's see how last week's song did, and how my predictions did too.
Right:
In general I got the Glee stuff right, but I did think that their version of One would still be here, even in a low place.
Charice featuring Iyaz, Pyramid – I like being right.

Wrong:
Lil Wayne, I’m Single – I wasn't even close.

Undetermined:
Justin Bieber, Somebody to Love – I though it would do much better, but a climb of 18 places isn’t bad.
Enrique Iglesias featuring Pitbull, I Like it –I said it wouldn't last long, but it only climbed six places to 82. So I'm not completely wrong.
Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dog, California Gurls – it was an obvious hit. I still wonder how long it'll stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment